We deal with the structuring of M&A transactions, pre-acquisition and post-acquisition reorganisations, tax clauses in the relevant documentation, risk management, due diligence. We have particular experience in the practical implementation of technical transactions such as merger, (partical) demergers, contributions and spin-offs. When necessary, we also assist our clients to obtain a tax ruling in order to ensure the required level of certainty. We assist and defend our clients in case of any tax audit or litigation related to these matters.
Tax structuring and M&A
Mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other corporate transactions almost always raise tax issues of varying complexity. Accordingly, our Corporate/M&A Department works closely with our Tax Department to guide our national and international clients through such transactions.
Our fields of expertise
Our Tax Department handles all kinds of tax-related transaction work and provides advice on all tax aspects with respect to:
- Corporate restructuring, such as mergers, demergers, partial demergers and contributions of a branch of activities;
- Acquisitions (via a share or asset deal);
- Joint ventures;
- Private equity or venture capital investments, whether on the side of the private equity investor or of the management during an MBO or LBO;
- Real estate;
- Holding structures;
- Tax-efficient financing structures;
- Issuing requests for tax rulings.
Alongside the direct tax implications, most M&A transactions also include challenging indirect tax aspects, such as VAT, registration duties and other duties, all of which are handled by our Tax Department.