specialises in M&A, corporate law, corporate governance and dispute resolution.
Steven has extensive experience in national and international corporate transactions. He focuses on mergers and acquisitions and private equity investments in a wide variety of economic sectors including marketing, e-commerce and retail, automotive and transport, holdings, the luxury sector, as well as renewable energy and manufacturing.
He also represents clients in litigation and arbitration proceedings primarily in post-acquisition, director’s liability and shareholder disputes. Steven is regularly appointed as an arbitrator.
Steven regularly speaks at conferences on matters of corporate law and arbitration.
He is mentioned as a Key Lawyer in Corporate M&A and Dispute Resolution by The Legal 500: “Steven Callens – pragmatic and proactive approach” – “‘Steven Callens is very accessible, straightforward and smart“. He is also recognised as a Future Leader in litigation by Who’s Who Legal.
Steven is also a member of the Belgian Arbitration Institute (CEPANI), the Luxembourg Arbitration Association, the International Bar Association (IBA) and the Institute of Directors (GUBERNA).
- “Sector specific M&A: Renewable energy M&A – Where is the value and where is the risk?” (AIJA, Valbella, Jan. 2018)
- “De hervorming van het Wetboek van Vennootschappen” (Women on Board, Dec. 2017)
- “De hervorming van het Wetboek van Vennootschappen” (Client seminar, Nov. 2017)
- “Transactions involving distressed properties” (AIJA, Parma, April 2017)
- “Specific clauses in asset purchase agreements” (AIJA, Lille, Oct. 2016)
- “Security instruments for payment of the purchase price and other claims” (AIJA, Budapest, April 2016)
- “The True Value of Shareholders’ Agreements” (AIJA, Val Gardena, Italy, Jan. 2016)
- “Workshop on dispute resolution in M&A transactions – what happens when your M&A deal goes sour” (AIJA, Santiago de Chile, Nov. 2014)
- “Ethical issues relating to third party funding and counsel remuneration” (AIJA, Prague, August 2014)
- “Equity financing for M&A transactions” (AIJA, London, April 2014)
- “The end of the deal: renegotiation clauses and (reverse) break-up fees” (AIJA, Chamonix, Jan. 2013)
- “Getting the deal done: indemnification tools” (AIJA, Milan, Oct. 2012)
- “De verantwoordelijkheden van bestuurders, zaakvoerders in vennootschap” (Koninklijke Vereniging van Accountants en Boekhouders van België, Ghent, May 2011)
- Master in law (Universiteit Gent), 1999
- Complementary Master in Economic Law (Université libre de Bruxelles), 2001
- Member of the Brussels Bar since 2009 (previously, since 2001, of the bars of Gent and Antwerp)